Today was baby Creel's fetal echo. I have been a little bit nervous about this appointment, but I was also very much trusting that God had it all taken care of! And of course he did! It was a rather long appointment, almost an hour. But that was an entire hour that we got to look at our baby, which was pretty darn neat! They took a ton of measurements, mostly of his heart. We got to see all of his major organs and bones on the screen, which was very cool. The little stinker would not quit moving around, which had everyone in the room laughing. He's such an active little guy. After the tech finished taking his measurements and confirming that he is still a he, the doctor came in.
He looked at the baby a little more, and scared me to death with his honest truths about what can happen to a baby when their mothers aren't able to control their diabetes. He talked about miscarriages, and listed off a huge amount of birth defects that can occur. Definitely scared me into taking my diet very seriously! He assured me though that since I have been able to control my numbers pretty well with my diet, that our chances of these things occurring are very low. He also told us that our baby boy is perfect, and is 1 lb, which is just a little below average. This is a good thing, because diabetics tend to have big babies, which can cause a lot of problems during birth. I need to try to keep him growing at the rate he is currently growing at, and avoid him being above average. The doctor said if he keeps growing at this rate, he will probably be around 7 lbs when he is born, which is great news!
We received a little bit of bad news today. The doctor told me that I will probably develop diabetes within the next 10 years (but he said of course it could be later than that), because of my history of GD, as well as my family history of type 2 diabetes. He also mentioned that it may stick around after this pregnancy, rather than going away. He informed us that if we want to have any more kids, it will have to be a very carefully planned pregnancy, and that it would not be a good idea for me to have an unplanned pregnancy. Kyle and I had already discussed that this may be the only baby that we will have together, but it's a little sad hearing from a doctor that that is the best decision for us. I am very blessed to have two healthy little ones though. I can't ask for much more than that! All in all, I was very happy with how the appointment went. We get to see the little guy again in March, which I am already looking forward to!
I forgot to mention that baby Creel stuck his tongue out at us during the ultrasound today! Too funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment