Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Preston at 6, 7, and 8 Weeks





Mr. Preston is like a new little baby these days!  He's not my little newborn anymore :(  He is really starting to develop his own little personality :)  He's been a lot less fussy since right around 6 weeks...either that, or we are just getting better at soothing him.  The first few weeks, I felt like I was tied to the rocker...constantly feeding, and rocking, and soothing my little guy (I'm not complaining though, I loved holding him all day long!).  But now I am able to get things done around the house.  I have more time to cook, clean, do laundry, etc. with my little one just feet away from me in his bouncy seat!  I've also been able to spend a little more time with Jaidyn, which both she and I have needed.  We went to see the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie on the 13th.  It was so nice to hang out, just the two of us.  She sat on my lap almost the entire time.  I missed it so much!  Preston is such a good baby.  I'm so glad that I'm able to leave him home with daddy for a bit every now and then.  It wouldn't be possible if Kyle wasn't such a good dad and if Presty wasn't such a good boy!






  
I asked Kyle how he would describe Mr. Preston's personality, and he said "He's very relaxed, but he definitely lets you know when he needs something.  But once you figure out what he needs, he melts like butter and becomes the happiest baby in the world."  You see, Preston let's you know, very loudly I might add, when he is discontent (as all babies do, of course).  It's always one of four things.  He's hungry, he's wet/dirty, he's gassy/has an upset stomach or is just generally uncomfortable, or he's sleepy.  We've become very good at figuring out what he needs by his cries, or the way that he is acting.  There is never any question about whether or not Preston needs his diaper changed....he will scream and cry like you've never heard!  It's a little bit over the top if you ask me ;)  When he is in pain or uncomfortable, his cries are completely different.  When he is hungry, he sucks on his little fists or roots around.  Once we figure out what is wrong with him and take care of his needs, it's like someone flips a switch and he is back to being cool and calm Preston.  If I could describe Preston's personality using one word, it would be 'serious'.  He is a very serious baby, which is funny because when Kyle and I would talk about him before he was born, we both said that we thought he was going to be a very serious, laid-back baby...the complete opposite of his crazy, outgoing sister! 






     

Our nightly schedule hasn't changed much.  Preston still goes to sleep around 10:30pm, and eats around 2, 4 and 6am.  He still sleeps quite a bit during the day, but is awake much more than before.  He usually takes two long naps during the day (2 or 3 hours), and then takes little cat naps in between.  When he is awake, he spends some time in his swing his, his bouncy seat, or in his new kickin' coaster!  He also spends lots of time in mommy's arms, or bouncing on the exercise ball with me.  He likes to spend time just laying flat on his back too.  Tonight as Kyle and I were laying in bed, he laid in between us on his back for over an hour just looking around and cooing until he fell asleep.  Such a good little boy :)  He's not a fan of tummy time at all, so we don't do it much (or at least not traditionally.  I like to put my feet up on the ottoman while sitting in the couch, and lay him across my legs on his belly.  Then he is elevated as he looks over my knees, and he seems to like that better.  He can look around instead of having his face buried in the carpet!).  He's got incredibly good control of his neck and head, and is very strong, so I'm not too concerned about missing out on tummy time every now and then.  He is smiling all the time now!  I used to have to work to get him to smile.  I'd stand with him in front of the mirror and talk baby talk to him.  Once he notices himself in the mirror, he grins so big!  Now we don't have to try so hard to get him to do it.  Sometimes I will look down at him and he will be grinning back at me.  I love it :)  He is so adorable!  Around the end of 8 weeks, the amount of smiles we were getting was crazy!  He smiles all the time now!  Another thing that Preston loves to do is look around.  When we are sitting on the couch, he likes to look over my shoulder at the black and white pictures hanging on the wall.  Around 8 weeks he finally noticed the spinning birdies on his swing.  Now he will sit in his swing and stare at them!  Sometimes he grins and coos at them, other times he quietly watches them until he drifts off to sleep.  He loves being out of the house, and loves looking around at his new surroundings.  We go to the JAC once a week, and went to the skate rink as well recently.  I'm so glad that he's a good baby and I can get out of the house with him without much fuss. 





  




I had mentioned above that Preston has been a lot less fussy.  That was certainly true a week ago.  You see, I write these blogs over the course of two or three weeks (depending on how many weeks I cover in an entry) so some things change by the end of the two or three weeks and I have to add in some edits.  Weeks 7 and 8 were slightly fussier weeks.  He's been a huge mama's boy.  He wants me constantly, and wants me to hold him against me so he can rest his little head on my shoulder.  He's started snuggling up against my neck with his face.  He will rub his nose back and forth over and over again on my shoulder.  I think it's the sweetest thing :)  He's started doing it to Daddy now too, which makes mommy kind of jealous!  I am definitely starting to realize why having a son is such an amazing thing, and you wont find this mom complaining about having a mamas boy!  I'm truly enjoying every minute of it!  Everything he does amazes me!  And did I mention that he has the most beautiful dark blue eyes??  I get lost in them!  And I just can't stop kissing those chubby cheeks of his!      









Highlights and Milestones: Lots and lots of smiles, tons of cooing, very alert, and loves to look around at things!  Preston is a chunker....and I LOVE it!  I don't know why, but I love chunky babies, and when Kyle and I talked about what we hoped he would look like, that was definitely something I had hoped for!  Well, I got my wish!  At his 2 month appointment, he weighed 13.13 lbs (90%) and was 23 3/4 in long (80%).  He is the size of an average 4 month old (crazy!!).  Him being so big makes me feel like he's a very healthy boy, which I love!  Another thing that I forgot to mention is that Preston has discovered that he has hair.  He will feel it and play with it.  So cute!    

Likes: His binky....finally!  He just started taking his binky, and that is one of the reasons why I can get things done these days.  He doesn't take it often, but he will every now and then and it's been great.  His swing.  He spends a lot of time in it, and loves to listen to the music and watch the birdies go around and around.  It puts him right to sleep!  Also....kickin coaster, smiles, baby talk, snuggling with mommy, hanging out with daddy, "playing" with sissy, baths, music, and milky!

Dislikes: Wet and dirty diapers, being too hot or cold, being in his carseat, and being put down for too long.  He's a cuddle bug!




















In other news, Jaidyn started 1st grade on the 21st!  So far, she is absolutely loving it!  She loves her teacher and is already making new friends.  It still hasn't clicked with me yet that she's back in school...I have to remind myself every night.  I miss her already, but it's been nice to try and get a routine going with the baby.  She has homework this year, which is pretty exciting :)  She's growing up way too fast!




No comments:

Post a Comment